Skin Purging- Why It’s A Good Thing?
The title might confuse and scare you. Well, we don’t blame you at all. The word ‘purge’ can sound horrifying and something that you never want to see so up close on your skin! But believe us, you will ease into this concept once you know why it happens – and of course we will tell you why it’s a good thing!
What is skin purging?
Skin purging happens due to reaction to active ingredients found in skincare products. Essentially, the process of your skin cell turnover rate is expedited, and your skin starts shedding dead cells faster than its normal speed.
If you are a skincare enthusiast and are following a new CTM routine, using active ingredients which increases skin cells turnover in your skincare can lead to skin purging. Such active ingredients can be Retinoids, Vitamin C, certain exfoliating acids and chemical peels.
Why is skin purging a good thing?
Well, you want to achieve that glowing skin of your dreams! To do that, you need to get rid of breakouts, acne, blemishes etc. from your skin. The active ingredients that are used to tackle these skin concerns start working their way through your skin faster to bring up the backed-up bacteria along with excess sebum, oils and dirt on the surface from your pores. This activity makes your skin shed the dead skin cells faster than usual revealing fresh and healthy skin.
During skin purging, you will notice your skin breaking out worse than before. These breakouts are imminent, but they show it on your skin sooner than later.
How to differentiate between skin purging and serious allergy?
Signs that indicate purging are as follows-
- You experience breakouts in your usual spots on the face
- These breakouts can be pimples, pustules, cysts, and microcomedones all at once
- Skin purges usually settles down in 4 – 6 weeks
- There are no blemishes or acne scars after healing
- Despite of skin purging, your skin complexion is different and might even look healthy
Signs that indicate breakouts due to skin allergy are as follows-
- Breakouts happen on new areas of the face
- Acne and blemishes don’t heal within 8 weeks
- Breakout takes 8-10 days to fully appear on the face
What can you do?
- While using new products, be patient in accounting for your skin improvements. Skincare usually takes up to 8-12 weeks to start showing results
- Do not pop your pimples
- Get a HydraFacial to remove impurities. Avoid if you have sensitive skin
- Consult your dermatologist if your purge lasts for more than 6 weeks
We would like to encourage you to keep using active ingredients in your products that will assist in clearing your skin making way for healthy glowing skin. If you are a beginner in the journey of products with active ingredients, use the Maskne Gentle Cleanser and the Skin Repair Serum by Beaumark beauty.