Have you been getting an increase in acne breakouts in your chin and cheek area? Well, that's maskne, or simply put, acne caused by wearing face masks.
Masks impose heat and friction on your skin. This combined with a moist environment from breathing or talking or even sweating means that your pores get clogged. The oil and bacteria that are trapped on your skin is a recipe for acne.
It’s probably one of reasons why you feel like you’re spending hours on your skincare but seeing no results! This new skincare phenomenon has caused many of us to change up our skincare routine in order to cater to this new concern.
How to cure it?
1. Use a cotton or breathable fabric mask. Wash your mask daily using a fragrance-free detergent or use a new mask.
2. Wash your face twice a day using an AHA or BHA cleanser. We recommend using something that has salicylic acid but of course see what suits your skin best.
3. Make sure you're using a gentle cleanser. You need something that is mild on your skin and has active ingredients that will open up your pores gently and add nutrients to your skin to help repair and restore. We recommend checking out the Maskne Gentle Cleanser which has active ingredients such as frankincense, citric acid, tea tree oil and salicylic acid. The product is vegan, cruelty-free and non-toxic so you know you are putting the right thing on your skin.
3. Use a moisturiser to hydrate and add a safety barrier to your skin. Key ingredients to look for in your moisturiser are ceramides and niancinamides are good for you. Also keep an eye out for hyaluronic acid, which will hydrate your skin. Look for a product labelled as lightweight
4. Don't pick at your skin and give it time to heal. Most consumers say that they see a difference with their active maskne within a few days of using the Maskne Gentle cleanser. However, we still recommend to be consistent to see results. Don't pick, pop or scratch your skin where you have maskne as this would increase the bacteria on your skin.
Some of us are left with acne scars after pimples subside. One way to speed up the process of fading the scars include using some serums with active ingredients such as Vitamin C, Aloe Vera, Niacinamide and Vitamin E.
5. Once your skin has repaired itself, take precautions by avoiding further damage. By that I mean, Don't forget to use sunscreen! Even though half our face is covered by a face mask, you'd be surprised how easily the UV rays can penetrate our skin.
Bottom line: Take precautions to avoid maskne. Don't be ashamed of Maksne, literally everyone has it at the moment - embrace it! And finally, be patient, your skin takes time to heal. Love your skin for what it is!